Monday, April 26, 2010

Anxiousness-and what others think

I had a different blog planned, but it will have to wait. I am having anxiousness and I want to share about it!!! And I want to share about how I can choose to follow even when I am anxious!

I have discovered that when I get anxious, and have those anxiety feelings down in my tummy, that I continue to get more anxious and more anxious. Unless, I am able to stop focusing on my anxiety and turn my attention to God's word and the verses that I have committed to memory, like:

Philippians 4:6-8-"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

This verse is awesome. God reminds us to not be anxious about anything, but take all your concerns and requests and problems to him and his peace which is beyond anything we can fathom will be with us. And instead of dwelling on why you are anxious or that you are anxious dwell on the truth (what is truth?--God and his word are truth) dwell on things that are noble and right, things that are pure and lovely. All that is admirable, excellent and praiseworthy---these are the things that are minds need to be filled with.

Here is one of the things that I struggle with. I get anxiety over worrying about what people think of me. I am sure many can relate to being concerned about what others think of you. I think "do they like me?" "do they think I'm fat, ugly, weird, too silly, dumb....whatever." The list goes on and on. This is such unhealthy thinking. Something, however that is horribly hard to stop doing. Something that our society is all about. We all push towards wanting everyone to like us. But you know what--it doesn't matter!!! It doesn't matter if everyone likes us or if everyone thinks we are the best. If we are seeking God and doing what he has called us to do and concentrating on what His Word says---then we are where we need to be and it doesn't matter if the person across the street likes us!!! We need to be confident in God's love for us. This is not an easy thing--especially for those of us who struggle so much with being people pleasers! But like my husband said to me "you need stop thinking about what other people think of you and focus on how God thinks and feels about you. The way you do that is by meditating on His word!! You know how to be an overcomer, you just need to decide to do it!!" So, I say it again and remind myself as well as any of you who struggle with this---put yourself in God's word!!

1 comment: